I love movies, always have, always will. I love good movies even more! So, I decided it was time to make sure I've seen what's commonly accepted as the 100 greatest, as decided by the AFI. Some of the movies on the list I've seen a million times, some I've seen maybe once when I was little. With the help of my streaming subscription to Netflix, and getting my little red envelopes in the mail too, I will definitely conquer this list - and I can't wait! Please feel free to watch along or add comments about your movies as I watch them! Get the popcorn and milkduds ready!

Saturday, December 20, 2014

#5 Singin in the Rain

1952
Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly
Starring: Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, Donald OConnor, Jean Hagen

Set in 1927 Hollywood, the movie follows movie star Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) and his costar Lina Lamont (Hagen) as silent movies give way to talking pictures.  Along the way, Don meets-cute Reynolds' character, Kathy Selden, and they fall in love, much to Lina's dismay.  Kathy is trying to make it into the movie business also, but Lamont tries everything she can to prevent it.  The movie is funny, entertaining and is movie-making at its finest.  Loved it!

Trivia: In the "Would You" number, Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds) is dubbing the voice of Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) because Lina's voice is shrill and screechy. However, it's not Reynolds who is really speaking, it's Jean Hagen herself, who actually had a beautiful deep, rich voice. So you have Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie Reynolds dubbing Jean Hagen. And when Debbie is supposedly dubbing Jean's singing of "Would You", the voice you hear singing actually belongs to Betty Noyes, who had a much richer singing voice than Debbie.

Up Next: Raging Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment