I love movies, always have, always will. I love good movies even more! So, I decided it was time to make sure I've seen what's commonly accepted as the 100 greatest, as decided by the AFI. Some of the movies on the list I've seen a million times, some I've seen maybe once when I was little. With the help of my streaming subscription to Netflix, and getting my little red envelopes in the mail too, I will definitely conquer this list - and I can't wait! Please feel free to watch along or add comments about your movies as I watch them! Get the popcorn and milkduds ready!

Friday, October 17, 2014

# 6 Gone With The Wind

1939
Director: Victor Fleming
Starring: Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard, Olivia de Havilland

Well I got incredibly lucky, and Gone With the Wind happened to be playing in theaters to celebrate the 75th anniversary of its release this year.  It was only playing 2 nights, so I caught the second night with my friend Jillian, who had never seen the movie before.  The day we were supposed to go, I informed her it was a 4hour movie, she had no idea! But away we went.  Seeing it on the big screen was amazing!! My sister was up in New York at a theater seeing it too, and said the theater was packed.  Its my sisters favorite movie, so I knew she wouldn't miss the opportunity to see it in the theater.
This movie is even better than I remember, every scene is captivating.  Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable are sheer perfection.  The movie is simply timeless; it was funny, and sad and moving... If you haven't seen it, see it now!  I'm surprised it isn't in the top 3.

Trivia: When Gary Cooper turned down the role for Rhett Butler, he was passionately against it. He is quoted saying both, "Gone with the Wind (1939) is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history," and, "I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper."

Up Next: Singin In The Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment